Two of Australia’s quickest greyhounds head the line-up in a mouth watering final of the $30,000 to the winner Group Two Multicam Black Top at The Gardens this Wednesday night in Newcastle.
Cindeen Shelby and Elite Oriental are like lightning from the boxes and last week they showed what explosive power they possess leading all the way in their heats.
The Multicam Black Top is the biggest race of the year at the Birmingham Gardens complex and a huge crowd is expected to see quality greyhounds compete across the entire race program on the night.
Cindeen Shelby scorched around the track to win by 11 lengths in a sizzling 29.41 seconds over the 515 metre distance. The heavy track most likely robbed her of breaking the 2008 Nationals winner Knocka Norris’ track record of 29.25.
Reg Kay’s amazing run of success with his star kennel continued in the heats when his speedy bitch Elite Oriental managed to sustain her early speed to record a 29.59 win with Merleen five lengths away in second place.
Billed as a race in two on the guide of early betting markets, the start of this race will tell the story and it should provide an enthralling spectacle.
Racing starts at 7.00pm with the feature race, Mulitcam Black Top timed to start at 9.25pm.
Group 2 Multicam Black Top Final Preview
- Trainer : Robert Smith
- Heat : 1st running 29.94, beating Striking Force by 5.25 lengths
- Comment : Began very cleanly in his heat, taking full advantage of the red rug to score comfortably and has come up trumps in the final. However with Cindeen Shelby almost certain to cross him, he will have to come from behind and that is a tough ask in this company
- Trainer : Deen Parkinson
- Heat : 1st running 29.41, beating Dynamic Power by 11 lengths
- strong>Comment : Trainer Deen Parkinson has been itching to get his star bitch to the Black Top series and she showed what a wonderful talent she is demolishing her rivals by 11 lengths, running a near record 29.41 in her heat. Can sit on Elite Oriental’s back and go past her but if she manages to find the lead, Knocka Norris’ track record will be in her sights.
- Trainer : Jason Magri
- Heat : 2nd running 30.07, behind Penny Cool
- Comment : Flew home late after walking out of the boxes to sneak into the final and cannot afford such tardiness in the final. He has two rockets either side of him so will be back in the pack again and may not be suited to the tight two turn circuit here.
- Trainer : Reg Kay
- Heat : 1st running 29.59, beating Merleen by 5 lengths
- Comment : Starts like a cannonball from the boxes and managed to do it at both ends in her heat recording a blistering 29.59. Will need to lead Cindeen Shelby to win and if she lands on the bunny, then she can give trainer Reg Kay another Group win for 2008.
- Trainer : Thomas Richards
- Heat : 2nd running 30.14, behind True Sunrise
- Comment : Could knockout Elite Oriental at the start as he crashes hard to the rail and caused terrible trouble for a couple in his heat. Hard to see him having the class of some of his rivals tonight.
- Trainer : Bradley Field
- Heat : 1st running 29.96, beating Quicklee Tommy by 2.5 lengths
- Comment : Led all the way in her heat in the slowest winning time where she jumped from a more suitable inside alley. From an awkward draw here, she will need luck early but can still run a cheeky race at very juicy odds.
- Trainer : Chris Everleigh
- Heat : 1st running 29.93, beating Korvette by 2 lengths
- Comment : The Chris Everliegh youngster had to come from behind to run over the top of the speedy In Command in her heat last week. She is having only her eighth career start tonight but has immense talent and can’t be written off.
- Trainer : Earl Anderson
- Heat : 2nd running 29.95, behind Elite Oriental
- Comment : Back in form with a huge win at Bathurst followed by a big run in her heat to fly home wide for second. Would have preferred the rails but she is a topline competitor and is the knockout chance if the top two have an off night.
- Trainer : Lorraine Barrington
- Heat : 2nd running 30.19, behind Cindeen Shelby
- Comment : Was chasing daylight when second to a dominant Cindeen Shelby last time out and will be hard pressed to reverse that tonight if he sneaks into the field.
- Trainer : Lorraine Barrington
- Heat : 2nd running 30.30, behind Lochinvar Prada
- Comment : Tried hard to catch Lochinvar Prada in his heat but faces another sharp rise in class tonight and it is hard to see him figuring here.