Australia’s only grass TAB track celebrates its cup meeting today with a cracking Group 3 contest sure to burn up the picturesque Casino circle in the feature event worth $15,000 to the winner.
Queensland visitors Kay Size State and Gazza Shiraz will vie for favouritism based on their reputations and excellent heat wins. Gazza Shiraz recorded the fastest heat win of the day when he blazed to a 27.29 second victory over the 484 metre distance and if he can repeat that performance, will be ultra hard to beat.
Ellie Vista, the tiny local starlet weighing in at just under 24 kilograms, will try to keep the Charcoal Inn Casino Cup on home soil and she has drawn the gun slot in box one.
Racing starts at 12.07pm with the Charcoal Inn Casino Cup timed for 2.14pm.
Group 3 2008 Charcoal Inn Casino Cup Final – Race 8 – Race Start 14:14
- Trainer : Julie Gauld
- Race Record : 77 Starts – 20 wins – 1` seconds – 4 thirds
- Heat : 2nd running 27.48, beaten by Kay Size State by a ½ head
Comment : TLocal mini mouse that closed hard in her heat but just couldn’t get by Kay Size State. The old adage that boxes win finals is especially true at Casino over the 484m trip where she should be able to get through the first bend unscathed. Great each-way hope.
- Trainer : Nick Tzouvelis
- Race Record : 40 Starts – 6 wins – 4 seconds – 10 thirds
- Heat : 2nd running 27.54, beaten by Gazza’s Shiraz by 3.75 lengths
Comment : Had the gun alley last week but couldn’t hold out Queensland ace Gazza Shiraz in the fastest heat of the day. Has again drawn near the rails but will need to jump better to avoid the early scrimmage.
- Trainer : Robert Andrews
- Race Record : 28 Starts – 7 wins – 3 seconds – 2 thirds
- Heat : 1st running 27.55, beating Phoenix Flash by 2.5 lengths
Comment : Had her career highlight when successful in her heat at long odds, jumping to the lead and racing away to defeat city chaser Phoenix Flash. Disappointing at Moree on Monday and can’t see her going on with the job here.
Kay Size State
- Trainer : Troy Sharpe
- Race Record : 44 Starts – 18 wins – 11 seconds – 6 thirds
- Heat : 1st running 27.48, beating Ellie Vista by a ½ head
Comment : A very quick conveyance who had to fight hard to get to the front in his heat before wobbling in the final stages but holding on strong for a win. Has brilliant early toe so can overcome the middle box and is one of the main contenders.
- Trainer : Darren Russel
- Race Record : 33 Starts – 10 wins – 7 seconds – 2 thirds
- Heat : 1st running 27.50, beating Kidatee Alf by 2.25 lengths
Comment : After registering a best of the day 411m win two weeks ago, he made it back to back victories at Casino with a strong heat win when he took over in the back straight from Kidatee Alf. Has speed to his left so may be cramped early and I’m prepared to risk.
- Trainer : John Free
- Race Record : 50 Starts – 18 wins – 6 seconds – 9 thirds
- Heat : 1st running 27.37, beating Calladot by 5.75 lengths
Comment : The Casino 411m track record holder had been out of the winners circle for a while before showing his true ability in a dazzling heat win when running the second fastest time of the day. Can handle wide draws and won from this box last week. Keep extremely safe.
- Trainer : Toni Northfield
- Race Record : 28 Starts – 12 wins – 4 seconds – 4 thirds
- Heat: 1st running 27.47, beating Oh Mate by 5.75 lengths
Comment : Drew the hot heat of the day against Oh Mate and Hifi Allegro but simply never gave either a chance by leading all the way in good time. Loves it out wide but will need to improve a few more lengths to register a group victory here.
- Trainer : Paul Cauchi
- Race Record : 40 Starts – 12 wins – 7 seconds – 5 thirds
- Heat : 1st running 27.29, beating Absolute Style by 3.75 lengths
Comment : Probably the classiest dog in the field, he has a big reputation and delivered here last week running the quickest time of the day, a scorching 27.29 seconds, which is only .21 seconds outside Beaver Feaver’s record. The one they will have to beat although the draw has made him vulnerable.
Comment : Unlikely starter.