On 17th October 2013 Mr. Matthew Payne was informed that the greyhound Tian Hao Diva had shown the presence of 5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol from the urine sample taken at the Greyhound Racing SA race meeting held at Angle Park on Monday 16th September 2013, and that he would be advised of the date, time and place of an inquiry.
The reserve portion of the urine sample was tested and the presence of 5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol was confirmed.
5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol is a metabolite of Testosterone. The national agreed limits for 5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol in urine in bitches is 10ng/ml, which is a limit designed solely to suppress oestrus and is not considered performance enhancing.
Mr. Payne was advised of the analyst’s results on Wednesday 11th November 2013 and attended an inquiry at the offices of Greyhound Racing SA on Monday 2nd December 2013 at 10.00am, into the circumstances relating to the obtaining of the positive urine sample.
After taking evidence from Mr. Paul Zahra (Scientific Manager), Dr. Chris Doyle (Veterinary Surgeon) and Mr. Payne stewards were of the opinion that there was sufficient evidence to charge Mr. Payne with a breach of the GRSA Rules Of Greyhound Racing R83 in that he produced the greyhound Tian Hao Diva for racing at the Greyhound Racing SA race meeting held at Angle Park on Monday 19th September 2013 and the greyhounds was found to have the prohibited substance 5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol in its urine.
The greyhound Tian Hao Diva was swabbed after competing in race One (1), and was found to have the drug 5β-Androstane-3α, 17β-Diol in its urine.
R83 Racing greyhound to be free of prohibited substances
- (2) The owner, trainer or person in charge of a greyhound-
- (a) nominated to compete in an Event;
- (b) presented for a satisfactory, weight or whelping trial or such other trial as provided for pursuant to these Rules; or
- (c) presented for any test or examination for the purpose of a period of incapacitation or prohibition being varied or revoked
shall present the greyhound free of any prohibited substance.
- (3) The owner, trainer or person in charge of a greyhound presented contrary to sub-rule (2) shall be guilty of an offence.
- (4) A greyhound presented for an Event contrary to sub-rule (1) or (2) shall be disqualified from the Event or any benefit derived from a trial or test.
- (6) Testosterone as evidenced by the presence of 5b-androstane-3a,17b-diol at or below a concentration of 10 nanograms per millilitre in a sample of urine taken from a bitch will not breach the provisions of sub rule (2) of this rule.
Mr. Payne pleaded guilty to the charge and was disqualified for a period of 7 months with 3 months suspended for 12 months pending no further breach of GAR 83. Such penalty to commence from midnight Monday 9 December 2013.