Who Told Helen caused the upset of the night when she defeated El Galo in a heat of the inaugural Group 3 Dawson at Sandown Park last night.
El Galo ($1.50) didn’t show his customary dash from the boxes and was forced to work around the field from box 7. Who Told Helen ($28.80) began well to lead early and despite being stalked by El Galo down the back, proved too good to win the heat in 29.93.
Jarvis Bale ($20) and Birthday Boy ($6) finished strongly to dead-heat for second and deny El Galo a berth in the $40,000 to-the-winner final and ensure Rapid Journey’s long standing prizemoney record survives a while longer yet.
Matching Outcome ($10.50) upset his more fancied rivals in the opening heat, defeating Rowdy ($20.20) by 1.35 lengths in 29.88. Matching Outcome’s chances in the final improved further after drawing box 1, delighting trainer Tina Womann.
Din’s Son ($4.30) proved too good in the final heat, leading all the way from box 1 to win in 29.78. Dyna Forte ($14.30) finished strongly for second, capping an excellent night for Geelong trainers as well as providing Graeme Bate with a third Dawson finalist.
The inaugural running of the $58,000 Group 3 Dawson will be run at Sandown Park on Thursday 4 June.
The box draw for the Group 3 The Dawson was performed trackside last night and is below :
2009 Group 3 The Dawson
- Box 1 – Matching Outcome Tina Womann $3.25
- Box 2 – Jarvis Bale Graeme Bate $5
- Box 3 – Rowdy Simon Lees $12
- Box 4 – Firefly Bale Graeme Bate $16
- Box 5 – Birthday Boy Stephen Elsum $5
- Box 6 – Din’s Son Karen Leek $3.75
- Box 7 – Who Told Helen Jeff Britton $21
- Box 8 – Dyna Forte Graeme Bate $12
- 1st Res – Trew Millions Tina Womann
- 2nd Res – El Galo Jason Thompson