A big crowd attended Appin for the Gold Nugget and Opal heats on Saturday November 29. Approximately 500 patrons attended the day, which was run in conjunction with Appin Chamber of Commerce Family Fair.
Both the Gold Nugget heats over the 366 metre trip produced thrilling races, the second heat was the most exciting with the Norm Curby trained Zingalong Teddy at the generous odds of 6/1 winning narrowly in a close finish from Gigi Buffon in the fastest time of the two heats 21.15, Mountain Of Love took out the third placing some two lengths away.
Pure Love trained by Harry Markou emerged the victor in the first heat defeating Titanium Paddy by one and a half lengths with Opas Weapon finishing a half a head away in third position.
The final will be a bottler with both heat winners, Pure Love (box one) and Zingalong Teddy (box seven) starting from the same boxes that they won their heats from.
Out of all the runners Zingalong Teddy has recorded the fastest time 20.60 for the 366 trip and should start favourite over Pure Love who has a time of 20.66 so the stage is set for a tough encounter with a fine field of sprinters to face the starter.
Trainer Harry Markou appears to hold the trump hand in the Opal Final after Racing Love winning her heat in the fastest time comfortably by 3 and a half lengths over Age Of Aquarius and Hurricane Chaos in the smart time of 15.86 for the 274 metre trip.
Miss Convoy was also a convincing winner in her heat defeating Little White Tip by one and a quarter lengths but Racing Love will go out a short priced favourite for the final after drawing well.
The box draw for both finals is
Appin Opal Final 274
- 1. Little White Tip Craig McKew
- 2. Age Of Aquarius Noel Ovington
- 3. My Girl Joany Stan Beckingham
- 4. Hurricane Chaos Rose Birrell
- 5. Miss Convoy Donna Campbell
- 6. Intrepid Journey Stuart Gemmell
- 7. Sioux Spirit Anthony Halovic
- 8. Racing Love Harry Markou
- 9. Jenmar Cyclone Jennifer Brown
- 10. Jenmar Miss Jennifer Brown
Appin Nugget Final 366
- 1. Pure Love Harry Markou
- 2. War Hero Bev Mahoney
- 3. Opas Weapon Barry Gibbons
- 4. Mountain Of Love Ruth Matic
- 5. Titanium Paddy Patrick Byrne
- 6. Gig Buffon Antonio Chiarelli
- 7. Zingalong Teddy Norm Curby
- 8. Choose To Dream Majella Ferguson
- 9. Bear Essential Joel Mahoney
- 10. New Fears Sam Simonett
The day was very successful and the Appin Club would like to thank the friends of Appin Way for their assistance as without the help of volunteers it makes it hard for the non TAB tracks to exist.