There is no one more deserving to have a prestigious Group race named after them than the iconic Paul Amrosoli who has given our sport 46 years of loyal service. As we speak, Ambrosoli will be finalising his preparations for tonight, where he will once again commentate an exceptional race card at Wentworth Park including six Group races in what is a mouth-watering grand finale to end a sensational Golden Easter Egg series. ‘The Ambrosoli’ is a Group Three listed event worth $25,000 to the winner for greyhounds who contested the ‘Egg’ series but just missed out on a final berth.
Boom youngster Renegade Chief owned by AFL legend Tony Lockett, ran a gallant third behind Sometimes Speedy in last week’s semi-finals and comes up with the coveted red rug this week. After beginning slowly last week, the stamina displayed by this son of Bombastic Shiraz and Teeze was truly remarkable as he took lengths of his rivals who ran an impressive 15.87 run home. Any luck this week should see him power home and give trainer Kel Greenough another ‘Ambrosoli’ victory after he saluted with the great Cindeen Shelby back in 2010.
The hero in week one of the Easter Egg series after clocking at the time, a near record 29.45 was Graeme Bate’s Fully Advanced. After beginning well from box three in his semi-final last week, the Victorian was subjected to several incidents of interference, eventually finishing in third position behind winner Winsome Charlee. Coming up with a tricky box six in this week’s final, the son of Collision and Okay Supreme will need to utilise his genuine early pace to lead his rivals at the first bend.
Desperately unlucky not make the Group One final was Spud Regis, who just missed out on a final spot by half a length in last week’s semi-final defeat won by Punch One Out. Ultra impressive in his heat victory clocking a sizzling 29.69, the Andrea Dailly trained son of Bombastic Shiraz and Phiona, just couldn’t match the early pace of his two superior rivals, however is a genuine threat at claiming this final from box seven.
The Ambrosoli has been claimed by some of Australia’s greatest chasers including; Cindeen Shelby, Ritza Ryder and True Kihael. Tonight will be no exception as any one of the eight contenders’ being a deserving winner of this time honoured classic, named after one of the greatest ambassadors our sport has ever seen.
Group Three ‘The Ambrosoli’ 8.50pm
1. Renegade Chief ($2.60) – Kel Greenough: Ran home extremely well last week. Has drawn perfectly and will be storming home at the finish
2. Garrick Bale ($13.00) – Andrea Dailly: Got well back running 5th in his semi-final behind Punch One Out last week. Will need to ping from this box to be in the hunt at the first turn.
3. El Cabello ($16.00) – Darren McDonald: The valued runner of the field after running an outstanding second behind Cracker Jack Lil in the heats. A repeat performance should see him in the firing line
4. Allen Dion ($9.00) – Andrea Dailly: Has consistent form throughout the series and definitely has the ability to steal this, will need to ping from this tricky box.
5. Amadeus Strikes ($19.00) – Steven White: Will only need a clear run to take this out at juicy odds. Is a risky beginner but has a powerful run home that will suit
6. Fully Advanced ($3.30) – Graeme Bate: Has excellent early speed to overcome this unfavourable box. After clocking 29.45 in his heat, a repeat performance will seal a victory
7. Spud Regis ($3.30) – Andrea Dailly: Has had a sensational series after a 29.69 heat win followed by an unlucky third behind Punch One Out last week. Is the one to beat with a vacant box on his outside.