Trained by Graeme Bate for leviathan owner/breeder Paul Wheeler, the black Sonic Flight – Evonne Bale bitch joined an elite group of greyhounds to win over both Sandown Park distances, and became just the second greyhound after Mantra Lad to break 30 seconds for the sprint, and 42 seconds over the ‘half-mile’.
She had nine starts over the sprint trip in 2009 for two wins (29.89, 29.98) and four minor placings, but it was over the distance that she established herself as one of the nation’s best stayers.
In eight starts over Sandown’s famous 715m journey, Amity Bale won five including the Group 2 Sir John Dillon Memorial. She was also placed in the Group 2 McKenna Memorial and Group 2 Bold Trease Memorial, missing a place in just one of her starts over the longer journey.
She broke 42 seconds an astonishing three times with a best of 41.96, and earned over $60,000 in her Sandown Park starts alone.
On a big night at Sandown Park, the National Coursing Association and Greyhound Owners, Trainers and Breeders Association announced their respective awards for 2009.
- 2009 Coursing Greyhound and Coursing Bitch Of The Year: Voodoo Oak
- 2009 Coursing Owner Of The Year: Champagne Syndicate (manger: Sue Smith)
- 2009 Coursing Trainer Of The Year: Nicole Stanley
- 2009 Stud Dog Of The Year: Bombastic Shiraz, owner by Kay and David Cairns
- 2009 Broodbitch Of The Year: Tally Bale, owned by Paul Wheeler