Predicted tops of over 40 degrees in both towns has led the GRV to abandon both meetings.
The GRV statement read: “The safety and welfare of greyhounds and participants is of paramount concern for Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) in assessing whether a race meeting or individual races on a program should proceed, be delayed or abandoned in hot weather conditions.”
Healesville’s card on Monday the 28th January at this stage will conitnue as scheduled.
Hot weather protocol in action at Bendigo on Wednesday
Due to the predicted tops of 36 degrees at Bendigo, GRV has advised all participants that tomorrow’s meeting “has been marked as ‘Hot Weather Affected”.
As a consequence GRV is advising participants of the following changes:
1. Trainers may withdraw any of their greyhounds without penalty, prior to the appointed scratching time
2. The use of barking muzzles is prohibited for both travel and kennelling
3. Kennels will open 30 minutes earlier than normal
4. Kennel temperatures will be monitored and recorded
5. Cooling Vests will be available at the catching pen