Trained by George Kantzidis, Signor Casanova ran some great sectional times in his heat win last week to run away from the opposition and record a 5.5 length victory.
Kantzidis said that Signor Casanova is a “hard working dog who just keeps improving with each run.”
Signor Casanova has drawn awkwardly in Box 4 for the final, but has the speed and ability to keep out of trouble in the race.
Kantzidis said that he has had Signor Casanova in his kennel since he was three months old, and rates him one of the fastest he has trained.
Signor Casanova is owned by Charlie Matarazzo who has been a long time friend of Kantzidis. “He’s a great owner and this is definitely the best dog he has owned”.
Kantzidis believes that his chaser can use the final as a stepping stone to launch himself towards bigger and better city class races.
“He’s got heaps of ability and is generally quick out of the boxes.”
“If he can get to the front in the he will certainly give the opposition something to chase” he said.
The final is a very open affair with plenty of chances which include Carrazzo and Driller’s Own.
Both Carrazzo and Driller’s Own led all of the way in their respective heats wins to advance to the final field.
Form and comment for the VBIS Grade 5 Final :
- 1. 111 – Carrazzo (Y. Andrews, Cranbourne Nth) – Has won his last three starts. Led all of the way in last week’s heat win. Expect bold showing from this box draw.
- 2. 162 – Remo Arctic (G. Mitchell, Ketsborough) – Led from Box 8 last week but overrun in the straight. Chance.
- 3. 811 – Where’s Kentucky (B. Spiteri, Braybrook) – Won his heat last week from this box draw. Place chance best.
- 4. 217 – Signor Casanova (G. Kantzidis, Bundoora) – Great run from Box 7 last week when he scored in an impressive 25.15. Tough draw but has the speed and ability to overcome the box draw.
- 5. 812 – Ball Boy (L. Baxter, Sunbury) – Ran the fastest first split last week but Signor Casanova was too strong for him in the straight. May struggle in this class.
- 6. 621 – Dark History (M. Mihailovic, Jacana) – His only three race wins have been at the track and distance. Has ability but may struggle in this class.
- 7. 121 – Driller’s Own (M. Bourke, Breakwater) – Led from start to finish last week. Has plenty of ability and ran equal best heat winning time with Signor Casanova last week. Should be in the finish of the race.
- 8. 632 – Cruisy Mission (M. Cauchi, St. Leonards) – Ran second to Driller’s Own last week beaten three quarters of a length. Chance if he gets a good run in transit.
- 9. Res 352 – Ceejay’s Slinky (S. Elsum, Camperdown) – Would need to draw well if he gets a start.
- 10. Res 412 – Claretown Mike (J. Xerri, Watergardens) Likely to struggle in this field if he gets a run.