On Tuesday 10 September, RWWA Stewards inquired into the report from the ChemCentre in Perth, that the presence of 5β – androstane- 3α, 17β – diol (metabolite of testosterone), at a concentration of greater than 10ng/ml, had been detected in the post race urine sample taken from Rock Me Please, after competing in and winning Race 1 at Greyhounds WA Northam on 8 July 2013
This finding having been verified by the Racing Science Centre laboratory in Queensland.
Evidence was taken from Mr Wayne Jacobson (Trainer of Rock Me Please), Mr Geoff Johnson (RWWA Investigator), Mr James White (ChemCentre Analyst), and Dr Judith Medd (RWWA Industry Veterinarian).
Mr Jacobson pleaded guilty to a charge under Greyhound Racing Rule 83 (2)(a) for nominating and presenting ROCK ME PLEASE to compete in Race 1 at Greyhounds WA Northam on 8 July 2013 not free of the prohibited substance testosterone, evidenced by the presence of 5β – androstane- 3α, 17β – diol at a concentration greater than 10 nanograms per millilitre in a urine sample taken from the greyhound following it competing and winning that event.
In considering penalty the Stewards took into account the following:
- The seriousness of the offence and the nature of the prohibited substance. Mr Jacobson’s personal circumstances and unblemished record over many years.
- Mr Jacobson’s guilty plea, cooperation and forthright manner during all stages of the inquiry.
- The high level reported by the laboratories and the circumstances relating to this detection.
- The need for the penalty to carry a level of deterrence both general and specific.
- The notices to the industry issued by RWWA and the Stewards making it abundantly clear that only the approved alternative Ethyloestrenol should be used for oestrus control in bitches.
Mr Jacobson was disqualified for a period of nine (9) months effective immediately.
Acting under the provisions of Greyhound Racing Rule 83(4), Rock Me Please was disqualified as the winner of Race 1 at Greyhounds WA Northam on 8 July 2013 with the placings amended accordingly.