West Australian greyhound fans will be shut out from greyhound meetings at Cannington and Mandurah for the immediate future as Racing and Wagering Western Australia (RWWA) combat the Coronavirus pandemic in their state.
Racing will continue at Greyhounds WA venues but the public will not be allowed access to our racetracks. Only staff, licenced trainers and handlers with greyhounds participating at the meeting will be allowed on-course.
From 16 March 2020, all racing will proceed in WA with only those essential to the running of racing being granted access to racecourses at all times, including race meetings, trials and trackwork.
RWWA has said that “the implementation of consistent risk mitigation is paramount to safeguarding the health and safety of our industry participants as well as assist race clubs in ensuring they remain compliant with the Federal Government’s ban on non-essential gatherings”.
According the the RWWA statement “limiting potential exposure for participants and staff who are critical to conducting a race meeting, is a prudent measure designed to ensure racing is able to continue to operate. Whilst it is appreciated that this disrupts the ordinary enjoyment of racing for all, these are necessary measures that are aimed at ensuring racing is able to continue”.
These restrictions will remain in place until the Government and the appropriate health authorities advise otherwise.
RWWA have determined the access to greyhound race meeting and trials will only be allowed for:
- Licensed trainers with runners engaged at the meeting
- Registered handlers and catchers of trainers with runners engaged at the meeting
- Racing vision broadcasters
- RWWA staff and officials: stewards and integrity staff, race caller, swab attendant and media/content personnel.
- Race club staff and officials: veterinarian and assistants, kennel staff, judges, lure driver, track staff, tote operator, club operational staff, required gate and race day office staff and catering staff sufficient to provide a limited service to essential persons only.
- Limited accredited media (as approved by RWWA and/or the respective club)