Punters are in for a treat at Ballarat’s Morshead Park on Wednesday when a field of quality chasers has been assembled in the Petstock Free for All over 450 metres.
The field is worthy of a group race with runners already amassing prize money in excess of $300,000.
The race includes a reigning Cup winner, track record holder, and many well credentialed dogs.
Headlining the race field is Birthday Boy, Mogambo and local greyhounds Pure Conquest and Fitzy Bale.
Birthday Boy is the reigning Geelong Cup winner. His race record of 10 wins and 9 second placing’s from only 22 race starts underlines the ability of this talented chaser.
Although the son Where’s Pedro can sometimes be tardy from the boxes, he has a strong finishing burst which always puts him into contention in his races.
From the Jamie Ennis kennel, Mogambo is the current track record holder for 550 metres at Ballarat, but has also recorded a sensational 24.89 seconds over the race distance.
The flying machine is generally quick out of the boxes, and will no doubt be in the finish of the race.
Napoleons greyhound Pure Conquest is in arguably the best form of her career, and will be shooting for three straight at the track and distance.
Pure Conquest has been running exceptional first split times at her last two victories. She will jump from the coveted Box 1 draw and she will no doubt give the opposition something to chase.
One at odd’s to throw into the multiples will be Lake Goldsmith greyhound Fitzy Bale.
Fitzy Bale is the youngster of the field and although he has drawn awkwardly in Box 6 he will still give a good account of himself.
The up and comer has loads of natural ability and runs home hard in his races.
Petstock Free for All comment:
- 1. Pure Conquest – (Trainer: Darren Murray, Napoleons). Pacy type who has been running excellent first split times. Sure to be in the finish
- 2. Birthday Boy – (Trainer: S. Elsum, Camperdown). One of the most exciting dogs in the state at the moment. Winner of the Geelong Cup. Runs on strongly in his races. Definite chance.
- 3. Mogambo – (Trainer: J. Ennis, Lara). Track record holder over 550 metres at the track. Has also run personal best time over the distance of 24.89 seconds. Sure to be thereabouts.
- 4. Dark Reality – (Trainer: S. Holmes, Yarragon). Good winner here last week when he led all of the way. Harder here.
- 5. North Sea – (Trainer: T. Womann, Lara). Has been struggling of late to rediscover his best form. Place best.
- 6. Fitzy Bale – (Trainer: S. Collins, Lake Goldsmith). Up and coming youngster who has been racing well in city class races of late. Awkward draw but chance at odd’s.
- 7. Budmiester – (Trainer: M. Lloyd, Anakie). Been racing consistently but may struggle here.
- 8. Elite Currency – (Trainer: K. Mugavin Jnr., Killarney). Well drawn and has been racing consistently. Strong dog who finishes off his races.