The Group 2 Horsham Cup is the flagship race at the Horsham track. Ran over the 480m trip, winning connections pocketing $47,000.
Betting on the Group 2 Horsham Cup
The Horsham Cup is one of the premier country cups in Victoria, attracting star studded fields in pursuit of the title and the winner’s cheque.
With the best one turn speedsters converging on the track each year, there is some quality betting opportunities for punters with larger betting pools generally meaning there is also some value on offer.
All of our recommended online bookmakers offer fixed odds betting on the final once the heats have been run and won and the box draw for the final has been drawn, while some bookies also offer all-in markets for the winner of the final prior to the heats – giving punters the chance to snag some value if they think they can find the winner early on in the series.
Be sure to check this page in the lead up to the 2017 final for the top bookmaker prices as well as the best sign-up offers available through our list of recommended online bookies.
History of the Group 2 Horsham Cup
The Horsham Cup was first conducted in 1978 when won by Temsonny and since that time has been taken out by some of the best dogs to have graced the track in Victoria.
For many years the race was well known and highly sought after when run as a part of an Easter Carnival, however it is now run in June each year, allowing for better fields with the top greyhounds generally heading to Wentworth Park for the Golden Easter Egg beforehand.
World's Favourite Bookmaker
GETON is not a bonus code and does not grant access to additional offers. New Customers only. Up to £100* in Bet Credits. Sign up, deposit £5* or more to your account and bet365 will match your qualifying deposit in Bet Credits when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply. Full T's and C's.
#1 Sports, eSport, & Casino Betting
€30 Welcome Free Bet
New UK & Ireland customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £30. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card & PayPal deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. T&Cs Apply
Best Sports Betting Odds
Bet £10 Get £30 in free bets
Some of the greyhounds to have won the feature include:
- Kantarn Bale:
An absolute champion. Trained by Graeme Bate, the son of Light Of Fire and Jindara Bale won the event in 1988 and would go on to have a spectacular career which would see him claim the 1999 Victorian Greyhound of the Year title. The black greyhound also won the Group 1 Melbourne cup, the Group 1 Silver Chief, the Group 1 Brisbane Cup, the Group 2 Shepparton Cup, the Interstate Challenge and the Bert Bryant Memorial.
- Classic Capri:
Won the event in 1999 and would go on to win the Melbourne Cup, becoming the longest ever priced winner of Australia’s premier greyhound event when saluting at 25-1.
A five time group winner during his career, the son of Bombastic Shiraz and Texan Lady was an emphatic winner of the 2009 Cup, defeating a quality field including Group 1 Melbourne Cup runner-up Hanify’s Impact.
- Dyna Tron:
One of the best greyhounds to have been produced by Paul Wheeler, the red brindle dog won the Horsham Cup in 2012. Interestingly, Dyna Tron’s dam Gold Rush Bale was sired by Lansley Bale, who took out the race in 1988, with Gold Rush Bale also a half sister to champion greyhound and former Horsham Cup winner Kantarn Bale, mentioned above.
Group 2 Horsham Cup – the recent years
All the buzz heading into the 2018 Horsham Cup was about Aston Dee Bee, but Jimmy Newob delivered a dagger to favourite backers. Jumping out cleanly and holding the rail, the Kelvyn Greenough runner extended heading into the straight and put a gap on the field.
2018 Horsham Cup results
March 10, 2018. March 10, 2018 Horsham. First Prize $47,000
- Winner: Jimmy Newob (Cosmic Rumble x Nosey Rozy) May 2015 Blue Dog
- Owner: Newob Synd K Bowen, J Bowen Trainer: Kelvyn Greenough
- Time: 27.07 Margins 4.41 x 0.09
- Others in finishing order: Aston Dee Bee, Gregovitch, Alpha Georgiou, Out Of Range, Solitary Girl, Tiempo Dinero, Super Sook.
The 2017 Horsham Cup was not held due to the track being closed for redevelopments.
Champion runner Zambora Brockie may have gotten a slice of luck to win the Horsham Cup, but its impossible to say the gun wouldn’t have saluted anyway. Jumping cleanly from box eight, Zambora Brockie settled behind Shared Equity and Aston Bolero. When the pair shifted at the first turn the winner got a saloon passage through and quickly put away the field.
2016 Horsham Cup results
June 12, 2016. Horsham First Prize $47,000
- Winner: My Boy Brodie (Nitro Burst x Flying Liddy) Born: Sep 2013 Black Dog
- Owner: Charlie Azzopardi, Trainer: Anthony Azzopardi.
- Time: 26.719. Margins: 4.94 x 1.73.
- Others in finishing order: Blazin’ Bomber, Zipping Chubbz, To The Galio’s, Shared Equity, Margins, Aston Bolero, Fleet Return.
The appropriately named Margins proved that any winning margin is a good margin when taking out the 2015 Cup by half a length over superstar greyhounds Allen Deed and Big Ticket to score in 27.32.
2015 Horsham Cup results
June 7, 2015. Albion Park BGRC $45,000
- Winner: Margins (Bekim Bale x Gogo Sutro) Welped Oct 2013 Black Dog
- Owner: Branko Lezaja, Trainer: Brooke Ennis.
- Time: 42.44. Margins: 0.33 x 0.75.
- Others in finishing order: Allen Deed, Big Ticket, Ronray Spirit, Shared Bonus, Shared Equity, Caustic Bale, Ultima Bale.
The ill-fated Crump won his first and only group feature in the 2014 race for trainer Troy Iwanyk. The son of Superman and Mon Cherie defeated a classy line-up including the likes of Innocent Til, Warrior King, Hawk Alone and Ollie Bale to score by just over one length on the line.
2014 Horsham Cup results
June 7, 2014. Horsham First Prize $45,000
- Winner: Xylia Allen (Turanza Bale x Tayah Bale) May 2011 Black Dog
- Owner: Off The Leash (SYN): Trainer: Troy Iwanyk.
- Time: 26.679 Margins: 1.08L x 5.49
- Others in finishing order: Innocent Til, Warrior King, Hawk Alone, Musquin Bale, Evie’s Entity, Ollie Bale, Empire Allen.
Group 1 Megastar winner Peter Rocket won the race in 2013, with the son of Where’s Pedro and Belron Blue scoring by one and one quarter lengths for trainers Keith and Lisa Hellmuth in 26.83.
2013 Horsham Cup results
March 9, 2013. Horsham First Prize $42,000
- Winner: Xylia Allen (Where’s Pedro x Belron Blue) August 2010 Black Dog
- Owner: Lisa Hellmuth, Trainer: Keith Hellmuth.
- Time: 26.679 Margins: 1.32L x 0.74
- Others in finishing order: Nitro Cee, Bubba’s Dream, Stagger, Mepunga Geordie, Fully Advanced, Vapour Storm, Voltage Peak.
Group 2 Horsham Cup honour roll
|2017||Race Not Held|