Dynabolt: Sensational Stayer, Foundation Dam

In a podcast for Australian Racing Greyhound, leading breeder and owner recounted the origin of the ‘Dyna’ prefixes which, along with ‘Bale’, ‘Allen’ and ‘Flex’ are the four the family uses to distinguish their racing animals.

“Dyna”, recounted Paul, “was from one of our foundation bitches, Dynabolt…and she was a champion stayer in the early seventies and a lot of our lines go back to that…”

Dynabolt, a strong-looking white bitch by the imported sire Proper Streak out of the Wheeler’s leading brood bitch Gail’s Beauty, was whelped in August 1970.

She was sent to Colin White to be trained, and at 20 months old she was produced in a non-betting heat of the Ladies Bracelet, run over 457 metres at Harold Park and downed one of the pre-post favourites for the final in Toni Broke, which also happened to be a Wheeler greyhound.

Her first official race start took place on 5 May 1972 in a semi-final of the Ladies Bracelet. Exiting box seven against some seasoned campaigners, Dynabolt scored a brilliant victory, defeating Vivian’s Charm by just over a length in a fair 26.7. Fourth in the race was Spanish Dancer, the former Victorian sprinter who had won the at Wentworth Park, and equalled the track record as well.

In the Ladies Bracelet final, Dynabolt was outclassed, finishing seventh behind the flying Shane’s Monaro.

It was around this time Dynabolt suffered split webbing, a problem which was to recur throughout her limited career.

In June, the white bitch quickly raced through the grades, winning three on end at Harold Park and, first-up at Wentworth Park, over 530 metres, running a fast 31.3.

In July, Dynabolt started four times from poor boxes and each time she found trouble, running fourth, second, third, and fifth in sprint races at both city courses.

Then, at the beginning of August she was injured when running fifth at Wentworth Park and was out of action for almost six weeks. She resumed at Harold Park, being beaten less than a length into third place, but was then out of action again for a further three weeks.

Returning in October, Dynabolt finished a well beaten third at Harold Park, and then was sent out a 7/4 ($2.75) favourite at Wentworth Park four night later. From box two she met with early interference and was one of two greyhounds to fall at the first turn.

Fortunately, Dynabolt was not injured, but Colin White decided it was time to test her as a stayer, for two reasons. First, Dynabolt was a noted strong finisher and looked suited to a distance career, and second, she had clearly lost some confidence in recent races and White wanted to give her the opportunity of being near the lead in the early part of any start.

The move proved an enormous success. Sent out over 689 metres at Gosford, Dynabolt blitzed the field, scoring by 13 lengths, running 41.9, just outside the track record.

It looked as though a new distance star had been unearthed. At her next race, over 732 metres at Harold Park, Dynabolt won by two lengths in 43.7, the equal best of the night on a slow surface.

Her next test came on 28 October when she competed against the boom Victorian stayer He’s Some Boy at Harold Park. The Victorian had won his first distance test at Sandown by 12 lengths and was having his first look at Harold Park.

Dynabolt raced out to a big lead and as the field swept into the home straight she looked good, but He’s Some Boy stormed home out wide and, as Dynabolt weakened, he strode away for an impressive two length victory in 43.6, the best of the night.

He’s Some Boy returned to Melbourne and smashed the four-year-old 732 metes track record at at his next start.

Dynabolt’s next start was on 11 November, over 722 metres at Wentworth Park. Here she found the smart Hunter Sam too strong, going under by two and half lengths in a fast 43.2.

Colin White set Dynabolt for the prestigious Summer Cup at Harold Park, and afte winning her non-betting heat with ease, she faced a hot field in her semi-final, including champion Victorian stayer and the smart Victorian Delbairn.

Neither of these proved a match for Dynabolt. Now fitter and stronger than ever she raced away to defeat Lizrene by seven lengths in an incredible 43.0, the equal third-fastest time recorded at the course to that point. Only record holder Bunyip Bint (42.7, twice), Travel Rev (42.9), and Golden Twinkle (43.0) had gone as fast or faster.

Dynabolt drew box two for the Summer Cup final and was installed a shot-priced favourite. Fortunately, she missed the start, which allowed the badly boxed wide runner Lizrene to scoot out of the cherry and push across the face of the field in the long run to the first turn, causing all sorts of havoc. Dynabolt scooted along the fence and nipped to the lead, racing away to score by four and half lengths from Bandwagon John and Osti Too and run a brilliant 43.1.

Unfortunately, she was injured again and was out of action for four and a half months. She resumed on 21 April 1973, in an Invitation Stake over 457 metres at Harold Park, running a solid third.

Four days later she ran second to the smart Market Row at Harold Park and then contested the semi-finals of the Ladies Bracelet, making her second consecutive final when a three-quarters of a length second to Bonnie Cashell.

In the Ladies Bracelet final on 12 May, Dynabolt came home strongly from sixth early but was still beaten three and half lengths into second place by the classy Thunder Sue.

Sadly, just two days later she was injured when finishing last behind Market Row over 617 metres at Cessnock and was out of action for a month.

Dynabolt resumed on 14 June in a 732-metre Invitation Stake at Harold Park and once more faced the now-veteran stayer He’s Some Boy. Dynabolt, from box one, began and well and led into the first turn with He’s Some Boy a close second. At this point the Victorian suddenly eased sharply, dropping back to fourth place. He had been badly hammered at this point just two weeks earlier in the Association Cup final and it seemed as though he was reluctant to push hard into the bend.

This allowed Dynabolt to race away into the back straight and she pushed on to score by eight lengths in a fast 43.23, with He’s Some Boy coming again to run second.

On 14 June Dynabolt raced for what proved to be the last time. Running over 732 metres at Harold Park, she led by four lengths going into the first bend but suddenly eased back to fourth place before coming again to take second place, beaten four lengths.

After the race Dynabolt was found to have suffered serious wrist injury and the Wheeler’s decided to retire her to the barn.

Dynabolt raced just 27 times for nine wins, seven seconds, and five thirds and earned around $17,000 in . In eight distance races she registered five wins and three seconds.

The white bitch proved a huge success as a broodmatron, being the dam of Emiline Bale (by ) and Mercia Bale (by ). Emiline Bale was the dam of dual , and her litter sister Gwendalyn Bale. Winifred Bale was the dam of Kylie Bale who was the dam of 1998 Golden Easter Egg finalist Cerin Bale.

0 0 votes
Article Rating

More Greyhounds News

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments