This Week In Racing History



The last meeting to be conducted at the North Melbourne greyhound track took place in 1962. The track had opened five years earlier.

Sun Hero, named by trainer as the ‘hardest chaser we’ve ever had’ in a podcast with ARG, took out the 2005 Perth Cup, winning by three-quarters of a length from fellow Victorian Go Forever.


Satyr Rocket defeated Harbour’s Double by a length and a half with Chariot Charm third in the 1965 final of the Vic Peters Memorial Classic, run over 500 yards (457 metres) at Harold Park. The field consisted of 10 starters.

Queensland star stayer Shape Shifter set a new track record of 42.27 for 715 metres at Sandown Park in 1997.


Heather Rev took out the 1970 defeating Sally Alla by a length with Busy’s Charm third. The final was run over 790 yards (722 metres) at Wentworth Park but had been renamed the Sir Joseph Banks Cup to celebrate 200 years since Captain James Cook had sailed up the east coast of Australia. For the first and only time in its history the Cup had heats run at both Wentworth Park and Harold Park before a final field was assembled.


Steelflex became the first and only greyhound to win two successive finals when he defeated Alpha Brava by three-quarters of a length over 530 metres at Wentworth Park in 1975. Ungwilla Lad was a nose away third. Steelflex was retired immediately after the race by his breeder, owner, trainer Allen Wheeler.


Greyhound racing at night in South Australia commenced with the opening of the Day’s Road track in Adelaide in 1972. Well over 11,000 people turned out to watch eight races. The opening event was taken out by Riverette (box 6). Other winners were Red Ochre, Garron Court (box 5), Varley (box 1), and Satan’s Fury, all from , as well as former Victorian Starkie, Speedy Goblin, and Rich Benefit. The main event, over 560 yards (512 metres) was the Commonwealth Invitation Sprint, which Gerard The Gent, Red Ochre, and Binica, all from Victoria, Lord (), and local hopes Bristol Miss, Mulga Clown, and Sawle. The race was marred when the boxes opened prematurely and it had to be re-run after the last. Gerard The Gent was scratched, injured. The race was won by Red Ochre by half a length from Binica with Lord Galaxy, who had led by six lengths at one stage, half a length away third. Lord Galaxy was later found to be injured. Bookies held over $95,000; the tote almost $23,000.


The Bob Doak-trained Dusty Trail used box one to full advantage to take out the 1973 Bi-Annual Classic over 457 metres at Harold Park, defeating the smart by two lengths with Kid Springdale third.

Track specialist Turbo Top won the 1984 Premier Stakes, run over 530 metres at Wentworth Park, downing Master Dominic and Star Prediction.


In 1949, Treble Value won his 10th successive race over the hurdles on the Launceston track, a new record for a Tasmanian greyhound. On the same night, Tiler Bill won the .

Wentworth Park specialist Stately Bird took out the 2000 Golden from Mystical Gem and Mabili’s Babe, earning $100,000 for trainer Ken Paull.

0 0 votes
Article Rating

More greyhound news

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments