Celebrations will include a nostalgic look at the past and an exciting peek into the future of one of our most exciting sports.
NZ Centenary Celebration Events and Times
- This event will feature a greyhound racing historical display and the premiere showing of the DVD 100 Years of Going to the Dogs (approx 14 minutes).
- A Greyhound Racing Hall of Fame has been established and the first two dogs will be inducted. The display will also feature these dogs.
- Master of Ceremonies will be professional MC and horse-racing host Dean Lester.
- The Minister for Racing will be in attendance
- the GRNZ and Christchurch Board
- the owners, trainers, finalists and connections of dogs racing on the Platinum Paws race evening
- Australian visitors and media
Friday 17 October
Christchurch Greyhound Racing Club 5.30pm
Level 2, Silks Room
- The $250,000 Gold Band Finance Platinum Paws will be the most important race to hit the New Zealand tracks in the history of greyhound racing. Never before have greyhounds run for such a stake!
- The Number 4 dog in all races throughout the Platinum Paws race evening will be wearing a Make-A-Wish Foundation vest, and GRNZ has pledged to give a financial donation to the charity if the dog finishes in the top three!
Saturday 18 October
GRNZ Awards Gala Dinner 5.45pm
Christchurch Convention Centre, Hall A
95 Kilmore Street
- The Awards Gala Dinner will highlight and recognise achievements from the 2007/2008 greyhound racing season.
- Special Guest speaker will be Dick Taylor. Dick won gold in the 10,000m at the Commonwealth Games in Christchurch in 1974 and still holds the record for the fastest time.
- Masters of Ceremonies for the Awards Gala Dinner are John Tamihere and Willie Jackson.
National Party Racing Spokesperson, Lindsay Tisch, will be in attendance.