Sky Ray, from the Steve McKenna kennel, will jump from the coveted Box 1 and has been installed as the pre post favorite for the race.
The talented Sky Ray has already saluted the judge in six of his nine race starts, with two of those wins being from the Box 1 draw.
The son of Where's Pedro streeted his rivals in his impressive heat win last week, when he virtually led from start to finish.
In that race he recorded the two fastest race splits, and the “best of the night” time for the 550 metres, when he careered away from the opposition by seven lengths.
“He has plenty of ability and goes well from the red box draw.” McKenna said.
“If he has luck in running he should be hard to beat” he said.
The dangers in the race will be Sitting Bear and Smart Aviator, who both won their respective heats last week.
Sitting Bear has won his past three outings, and boasts four wins from only six race starts.
The Rob Britton trained chaser is the youngster of the field, and has already shown that his box 8 draw will not be a disadvantage.
Smart Aviator for Kevin Quinn was a surprise all the way winner at big odd's last week.
Smart Aviator will jump from Box 4, which is the same draw he had when he won by 4.5 lengths last week.
Neverfail Springwater Comment
- 1. Sky Ray – Trainer: S. McKenna, Napoleons – Has a great draw and won convincingly last start. Sure to be in the finish
- 2. Qayyim Bale – Trainer: A. Dailly, Anakie – Back to form last start. Was a great run considering he received a check in running. One for the multiples
- 3. Splendid Return – Trainer: D. Williams, Bannockburn – Has ability and has won her only start from this box draw. Hasn't been out of the money in her eight race starts
- 4. Smart Aviator – Trainer: K. Quinn, Cundare – Led from start to finish at big odd's last week. Could repeat the performance from same box draw in the final
- 5. Zoe Zoe – Trainer: J. Martinovic, Koo Wee Rup – Has an awkward draw. Place chance
- 6. Orford – Trainer: C. Stanton, Clunes – Led but run down by Sitting Bear last week. Has won at track and distance. A chance at odd's if he gets his own way
- 7. World of Storm – Trainer: N. Maurer, Lal Lal – Has been racing in consistent form all year. Strong dog but place chance best
- 8. Sitting Bear – Trainer: R. Britton, Lara – Youngster of the field who has plenty of ability. Wide draw should not be a factor and sure to be in the finish
- 9. Reserve – Uno Jacob – Trainer: M. Mallia-Magri, Lara – Missed the start but ran on resolutely last week. If he gets a run could be a chance
- 10. Reserve – Kid Koot – Trainer: B. Jones, Lara – Has been racing consistently. Place chance if she gets a run