Both greyhounds won their respective heats in a flying 34.36 and clearly look the greyhounds to beat in the $40,000-tothe-winner final.
McDoom, who made the semi finals of the recent Group 1 Paws Of Thunder series, sped to the early lead in his heat, giving nothing else a chance (splits of 9.08 and 22.02), and looks suited in box two.
Lektra Jay – trained by Andrea Dailly, who has two runners in the final – recorded faster splits of 8.90 and 21.90, highlighting the importance of a clean getaway over the 600-metre journey.
Their main dangers appear to be the classy Premier Baloney (box one), who has failed to miss a place in five attempts over the journey, and Graeme Bate’s chaser Stack ‘Em Flat, who boasts an amazing 34.20PB at the track and a withering finishing burst.
The Group 2 City of Hume Cup – set down for Melbourne Cup eve (October 31) – is one of the premier nights on the racing calendar at The Meadows, and a favourite among families. The night will also see the running of the Sport 927 Silver Bullet over 525 metres, worth $15,000 to the winner.
City Of Hume Cup Final
$40,000 to winner. Group 2. 600m.
- Box 1 – Premier Baloney Kelly Bravo 34.47
- Box 2 – McDoom Jason Thompson 34.36
- Box 3 – Lektra Jay Andrea Dailly 34.36
- Box 4 – Shintaro Samurai Rodney Clark 34.88
- Box 5 – Stack ‘Em Flat Graeme Bate 34.20
- Box 6 – Stetson Lily Peter Dundon 34.77
- Box 7 – Dyna Max Andrea Dailly 34.75
- Box 8 – Karanji Angela Langton NBT
- 1st res – Barrique Robert Britton 34.59
- 2nd res – Dyna Digger Andrea Dailly 35.16