This Week In Racing History


Dutchy's Angel took out the 2000 by a head from Trousers with Hotshow Ben third. The Tom Dailly-trained sprinter collected $16,000 for the victory.

Cape Hawke set a new track record for 515 metres at Sandown in 2011, running 29.13 to clip 2/100ths off the previous mark set by Heston Bale just two days earlier.

Busy's Chief won the 1976 NSW Country Championship, run over 580 yards at . From box eight, Busy's Chief won by three lengths from Sunset Lodge in a fair 31.35.
On the same night, Olympic Thunder won the Metropolitan Cup over 790 yards by four lengths, also from box eight.

The Larry Procopio-owned and trained stayer What's New won the 2004 Chairman's Cup (720 metres, Wentworth Park) defeating Resigned by three-quarters of a length with Victorian Arvo's Athena just a neck away third.

The first night meeting was held at the Bulli greyhound track, in 1952.

Bristol Sue took out the 1974 Adelaide Cup from Prince Arthur and Melwood. The brilliant bitch gave trainer a record of three wins in the three runnings of the premier sprint held in South Australia. He would have to wait 15 years before winning his fourth and last Adelaide Cup (with Kuriarkin in 1989).

Rooney ran a new race record time of 23.80 in taking out the 2006 St Leger for trainer Darren McDonald.

won the 2008 Cup by just almost seven lengths from Velocette, running a new race record 29.46

Red Zero scored by a whopping eight lengths in the 1969 final of the Sprint Championship, run over 500 yards at Harold Park. The local hope defeated star stayer Busy's Charm with Queensland sprinter Pied Rebel third and the brilliant Benjamin John fourth. Red Zero earned $6,000 for the victory.

Jesse Bale took out the 2007 Leagues Club Maiden (formerly known as the Dapto Maiden Thousand), defeating Leroy Brown and Double Trouble in a fair 30.20 to collect the $15,000 first prize money.

The Jim Ward-trained Maggiore became the last undefeated greyhound to race at Harold Park before the track closed forever when he scored by five lengths over 457 metres there in 1987. Maggiore took his record to six starts for six wins and was unbeaten in three races at Harold Park.

Queensland hope Dancing Gamble scored a brilliant victory in the 1988 National Sprint Championship final, run over 558 metres at the Gabba. Exiting box two, Dancing Gamble defeated fellow Queenslander Daring Coup by three-quarters of a length with NSW star See Yah a similar margin away third. There was controversy after the race when it was found that See Yah's trainer had neglected to remove the greyhound's collar prior to loading him into the boxes and See Yah had competed in the race with his collar still on.

The Geoff Watt-trained speedster Benny McGrath won the 1972 Singleton Classic (then called the Daphne Smith Memorial Classic), run over 466 metres. Benny McGrath defeated Harold Park specialist El Gazelle by a length with Grand Metal third.

Western Australia registered its first victory in a National Sprint Championship when local hero Mister Toewyte took out the 1978 final, run over 512 metres at . Mister Toewyte defeated NSW representative Sole Force with Victorian Ella's Champion third.

set a new track record time of 29.48 for 520 metres at Lismore in 2003.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments