The GRSA Stewards Inquiry with Mr. R Murray into the positive urine sample taken from the greyhound Sydney Vella at the Gawler race meeting held on Sunday 16th August 2009 has been completed and has seen Murray receive a four month disqualification.
Just two weeks ago we were advised of the positive swab in the greyhound Sydney Vella to the prohibited substance Dexamethasone, a steroidal anti-inflammatory and the principal ingredient in the veterinary preparation Voren.
R83 Greyhound to be free of prohibited substances
- (a) nominated to compete in an Event;
- (b) presented for a satisfactory, weight or whelping trial or such other trial as provided for pursuant to these Rules; or
- (c) presented for any test or examination for the purpose of a period of incapacitation or prohibition being varied or revoked
(2) The owner, trainer or person in charge of a greyhound-
shall present the greyhound free of any prohibited substance.
(3) The owner, trainer or person in charge of a greyhound presented contrary to sub-rule (2) shall be guilty of an offence.
(4) A greyhound presented for an Event contrary to sub-rule (2) shall be disqualified from the Event or any benefit derived from a trial or test.
Mr. Murray pleaded guilty to the charge and was disqualified for a period of 4 months effective midnight 30th September 2009.
Stewards acting under rule R83(4) also disqualified Sydeny Vella from the Gawler race in question and amended the placings accordingly.