2 Year Disqualification For NSW Trainer Over Preventable Death

Greyhound () concluded an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of the greyhound Bit Onek at the kennels of licensed owner/trainer Robert Tisdell, as well as Mr Tisdell's failure to notify GRNSW of the death within the defined time frame.

Written and oral evidence was taken from , GRNSW Veterinary Dr and GRNSW Craig Pringle, along with submissions from Grant Dunphy and Mr Tisdell.

The incident centred around the trialling of Bit Onek on the evening of 7 January 2013 at followed by trialling and extended kennelling in extreme heat at Keinbah on the morning of 8 January 2013.

On being made aware of this alleged set of circumstances, GRNSW Stewards directed Mr Tisdell to present Bit Onek for examination at the track on 10 January 2013. The examination by Dr Newell established Bit Onek to be suffering clinical dehydration, inflamed kidneys and poor oxygenation. Mr Tisdell was instructed by Dr Newell to seek urgent veterinary attention for Bit Onek, which Mr Tisdell ignored. Bit Onek was found deceased in his kennel that evening by Mr Tisdell.

Subsequently, Mr Tisdell pleaded guilty to a charge under GAR 106 (1) (d) for failing to provide veterinary care to a greyhound when necessary. In respect of this charge Mr Tisdell was disqualified for a period of 12 months, to expire at midnight on 13 February 2014.

Mr Tisdell was further found guilty of a charge under GAR 106 (2) for failing to take the necessary steps to prevent a greyhound under his care from being subjected to unnecessary pain or suffering. In respect of this charge, Mr Tisdell was disqualified for a further period of 12 months, to be served cumulatively with the penalty issued under GAR 106 (1) (d) and to expire at midnight on 13 February 2015.

He was reprimanded regarding a breach of GAR 106 (3) for failing to adhere to the provision requiring notification of the passing of a greyhound in his care by the prescribed time.

In determining penalty Stewards took into consideration Dr Newell's evidence that the death of Bit Onek could have been prevented had Mr Tisdell sought veterinary attention as instructed, the likelihood that Bit Onek was subjected to unnecessary pain and suffering prior to death, the serious nature of the charges and GRNSW's strong stance in regards to matters.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments