Trained by Kim Johnstone, the son of Mogambo and Velocity Thunder had 42 starts for the year, recording 19 wins and 15 minor placings. His highlights included winning the John Gray Memorial Final, the Adelaide Consolation Cup, running third in the Shane McQueen Memorial final and making the final of the SA St Leger and Group One National Sprint Championship.
The awards were presented at a gala function on Saturday night. Other award winners included:
Casino slow out of boxes
Casino Greyhound Racing Club has been forced to delay its return to racing, after the track’s conversion from grass to loam has taken longer than expected.
Racing was expected to resume on Friday, February 6, however, has now been rescheduled to February 27.
Lismore will host the three meetings that were due to take place, with a final inspection of the track to be conducted by GRNSW before any trialling or racing.
Keep an eye on
Astronomize clocked a sizzling time of 30.05 in a heat of the Group 1 Perth Cup on Saturday evening over 530m. Trained by Paul Stuart, the son of Kinloch Brae and Starlight Delly was the fastest qualifier for next week’s $140,000-to-the-winner final. Stuart also has litter brother Starlight Jack through to the final, along with second-fastest qualifier Quartz Bale.
Lock in your diary
– Heats of the Group 2 Shepparton Cup over 450m
– Heats of the Group 2 Launceston Cup over 515m
– Final of the Group 3 Big Dog Cup over 600m at Albion Park
– Heats of the Group 2 Vince Curry Memorial Maiden over 520m at Ipswich
– Final of the Group 1 National Derby over 520m at Wentworth Park
– Final of the Group 1 National Futurity over 520m at Wentworth Park
– Final of the Group 1 Perth Cup over 530m at Cannington
– Final of the Group 1 Galaxy over 715m at Cannington
– Final of the Group 3 Perth Cup Consolation over 530m at Cannington